Holiday Pet Safety Tips

holidaypetKeep these tips in mind as you decorate your home for the Fall and Winter holidays:

Chocolate in all forms can be very dangerous. Symptoms include seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, urination and heart rate.

Pumpkins and decorative corn are relatively harmless, yet can produce intestinal upset or even blockage if large pieces are swallowed.

Plants to keep out of reach are holly, mistletoe, poinsettias, pine needles and lilies.

Cords, plugs and other fixtures can look like chew toys.Unplug decorations when you are not home. Tape down or cover cords to help avoid shocks, burns or other serious injuries.

If you dress up your pet, make sure the costume is safe. It should not constrict movement, hearing or breathing. Try on costumes beforehand. If your pet seems distressed, allergic or shows abnormal behavior, consider letting him go au naturel or donning a festive bandana.

Leave a Reply

Proudly serving · St. Petersburg · Tierra Verde · Gulfport · South Pasadena · St. Pete Beach · Pinellas Park · Kenneth City · Largo · Seminole · Clearwater · Madeira Beach · Redington Beach · Palm Harbor · Dunedin · Clearwater Beach · Tarpon Springs